Mauser History

Mauser was a German arms manufacturer of a line of bolt-action rifles and pistols from the 1870s to 1995. Mauser designs were built for the German armed forces. Since the late 19th and early 20th centuries, military Mauser designs were also exported and licensed to a number of countries, as well as being a popular civilian firearm.

Peter Paul Mauser, often referred to as Paul Mauser, was born on June 27, 1838, in Oberndorf am Neckar, in W├╝rttemberg.
His brother Wilhelm was four years older. Their father, Franz Andreas Mauser, was a gunsmith at the W├╝rttemberg Royal Armory, established by King Frederick I on July 31, 1811. The factory was built in an Augustine cloister, chosen because it was very stoutly built and ideal for arms production.

Together with his brother Paul Mauser (1838 – 1914) Wilhelm Mauser designed the Mauser Model 1871 rifle, the first of a successful line of Mauser rifles and pistols. The rifle was adopted as the Gewehr 71 or Infanterie-Gewehr 71 and was the first metal cartridge weapon of the German Empire.

Following the death of his brother Wilhelm, January 13 1882, Paul Mauser takes over sole leadership of the expanding company

Amongst other fire arms the Mauser company also developed the Gewehr 98 and Karabiner 98k rifle series. The Gewehr 98 itself was the latest in a line of Mauser rifles that were introduced in the 1890s.

Even more..
The Karabiner 98 Kurz (often abbreviated Kar98k, K98, or K98k) was a bolt action rifle chambered for the 8×57 IS cartridge that was adopted as the standard service rifle in 1935 by the German Wehrmacht.[2] It was one of the final developments in the long line of Mauser military rifles. Although supplemented by semi- and fully automatic rifles during World War II, it remained the German service rifle until the end of the war in 1945.

The immortal Mauser M 98 is still produced from the original drawings, but can now also draw on the latest advances in production technology.